[tcpdump-workers] pull request: Marvell DSA header

Andrew Lunn andrew at lunn.ch
Thu Apr 23 10:55:15 EDT 2015

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 10:50:58AM -0400, Michael Richardson wrote:

> Andrew Lunn <andrew at lunn.ch> wrote:
>     > I just create a github pull request adding support to tcpdump for the
>     > Marvell header used by Distributed Switch Architecture. This header is
>     > used for directing packets out/from specific ports of a Marvell
>     > Ethernet switch.
>
> Thank you, it looks great. Thank you for including sample packets!
>
> Is this the kind of thing seen in home routers/SoC?
> I'm just wondering where one has to dump to see traffic like this...

A home router, like a WiFi access point is a likely candidate. If you
see in the boot logs a message like:

Distributed Switch Architecture driver version 0.1
detected a Marvell 88E6172 switch

then there will be packets.

OpenWRT can use a different kernel driver, so you won't see these log
messages, but there could be EDSA tagged Ethernet frames around.

Also, many wifi boxes Marvell switches use Marvell proprietary stack
for controlling switches, but again, you might see such headers.

	  Andrew