[tcpdump-workers] Code to get timestamp in tcpdump output

Jintack Lim incredible.tack at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 22:52:12 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I’m almost new to the network but I happened to use tcpdump for my research.

I wonder where exactly the timestamp of tcpdump comes from.
I'm working on Linux.
My best guess is that it is from net_timestamp_check() function which is
called by netif_receive_skb_internal() in net/core/dev.c for incoming
packets.
http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/net/core/dev.c?v=4.0#L3794
But I'm not sure.
In addition, I would like to know where is the code for outgoing packets.
Can anyone help me out?

If this is not the proper mailing list for this question,
I apologize for that.

Best,
Jintack