[tcpdump-workers] how many stable branches to have

Francois-Xavier Le Bail devel.fx.lebail at orange.fr
Wed Jun 3 14:12:03 EDT 2015

On 26/05/2015 15:33, Michal Sekletar wrote:
> On 05/26/2015 11:46 AM, Francois-Xavier Le Bail wrote:
>> I propose this:
>> We could give an "End of Life" date for each release branches.
>> This mean that after this date, the tcpdump group would not update any
>> more the branch.
>
> Having clearly defined EoL is a good idea. However I think that some
> releases should be picked and supported for longer periods of time.

In the previous examples, I had given EoL dates allowing to have a
lifetime of support about two years.

If it is not enough, a version, every two years approximately, could
have a superior lifetime, by example four years.
The first one of theses long-term versions could be the 1.7/4.7 ones.

What do you think about it?