[tcpdump-workers] BPF_COP support for libpcap

Paul "LeoNerd" Evans leonerd at leonerd.org.uk
Wed May 20 05:03:24 EDT 2015

On Wed, 20 May 2015 08:59:22 +1000
Darren Reed <darrenr at netbsd.org> wrote:

> > It would be good to have some general purpose coprocessor (for
> > walking IPv6 header chain and other operations), but that would
> > probably be difficult to agree and standardise amongst the
> > vendors.
>
> Which speaks to BPF needing new instructions or a new instruction set
> that can
> handle those tasks.

Many many years ago I already suggested the limited-duration "LOOP"
instruction as a means to handle IPv6 chains in a way that doesn't lead
to deadlocks/etc by having a generic loop ability.

  https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2013-October/043602.html

If you want to support 'v6 better, maybe take a look at that?

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd at leonerd.org.uk
http://www.leonerd.org.uk/  |  https://metacpan.org/author/PEVANS