[tcpdump-workers] how many stable branches to have

Francois-Xavier Le Bail devel.fx.lebail at orange.fr
Tue May 26 05:46:37 EDT 2015

 > From: Michal Sekletar <msekleta at redhat.com>

 > Instead I propose we should consider scheme used by Linux kernel, i.e.
 > having {tcpdump,libpcap}-$version-stable and
 > {tcpdump,libpcap}-$version-longterm branches.

AFAIK, This is not the scheme used by the linux kernel.
they don't have '-stable' or '-longterm' in their names as these are
moving 'attributes' given on the main page of kernel.org.

I propose this:
We could give an "End of Life" date for each release branches.
This mean that after this date, the tcpdump group would not update any
more the branch.

After this date, if needed, it would be the responsibility of the distro
maintainers to put patches in their distro repositories.

Example, for tcdpdump:
<= 4.2: EoL = exceeded
4.3-4.5: EoL = 31/12/2015
4.6: EoL = 30/06/2016
4.7: EoL = 31/12/2016 (4.8+ must be publish before ...)

Francois-Xavier