[tcpdump-workers] Should the tcpdump tests be run with TZ=GMT0, or should the AFS printer print time stamps in UTC?

Guy Harris gharris at sonic.net
Sat Aug 4 03:03:05 EDT 2018

On Aug 3, 2018, at 6:44 PM, Michael Richardson <mcr at sandelman.ca> wrote:

> Guy Harris <gharris at sonic.net> wrote:
>> Currently, the tcpdump tests for AFS fail if you're not in the time
>> zone where the .out files were generated, because AFS time stamps are
>> printed as local time rather than as UTC.
>
> That's broken

So we should just change it to use gmtime() rather than localtime().

(For what it's worth, the NFS dissector just prints raw seconds-since-the-Epoch and microseconds/nanoseconds, and the SMB dissector also appears to convert to local time, at least for Windows FILETIME values, which are proleptic Gregorian-calendar-and-UTC values that could also be shown as UTC, but older versions of SMB have local-time time stamps.)