[tcpdump-workers] configure script problem while working on extention

Guy Harris gharris at sonic.net
Mon Aug 15 03:59:30 EDT 2022

On Aug 15, 2022, at 12:50 AM, Denis Ovsienko via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers at lists.tcpdump.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Aug 2022 11:49:57 -0700
> Guy Harris via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers at lists.tcpdump.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Or is this a ZIP archive provided by somebody other than tcpdump.org?
>
> github.com -> code -> download ZIP. I vaguely remember there was a
> "download tar.gz" there as well, but not anymore.  Anyway, git clone is
> better order of magnitudes, in that it allows to tell which commit the
> working copy is at.

So they're building from the current main branch, rather than from a release tarball (or from the source used to build the versions of libpcap and tcpdump in the OS they're using)?

If so, then, yes, they should use git clone, not only for the reason you mention, but because it's not a snapshot, it's a repository, so it can be updated to the current state of the main branch.