[tcpdump-workers] [tcpdump] About struct in_addr / struct in6_addr

Guy Harris gharris at sonic.net
Sun Jul 17 18:29:39 EDT 2022

On Jul 17, 2022, at 11:09 AM, Francois-Xavier Le Bail <devel.fx.lebail at orange.fr> wrote:

> Remain some stuff about 'struct in6_addr'. Any need to keep them?
>
> $ git grep -l 'struct in6_addr'
> CMakeLists.txt
> cmakeconfig.h.in
> config.h.in
> configure
> configure.ac
> netdissect-stdinc.h

That's there for the benefit of OSes whose APIs don't have standard IPv6 support; if there are any left that we care about (or if there are old non-IPv6 versions we care about for any OSes we support), then it might be useful, but I'm not sure it would build (we use gethostbyaddr(), so *maybe* it'll compile, and maybe gethostbyaddr() will fail when passed AF_INET6 and the code will just show the IPv6 address rather than a name).

Should we care about it, or should we just drop support for OSes lacking native IPv6 support in 5.0?