[Unstrung-hackers] RPL requirements

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Tue Oct 13 23:32:09 EDT 2015

Vijay Anand R <vjanandrgky at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Michael, I am trying to put this in embedded devices, could you please
> share some memory constraints that we might have ?

What's an embedded device these days?
Would you like to use RFC7228 terminology here?

Unstrung is not going to port easily to a non-Unix environment such as
Contiki, and even a non-Linux environment will take some effort. (not hard to
do, but just some effort)
Could it work in something like IOS, or VxWorks... I have no idea, as I
haven't touched that stuff in 20 years.

It fits easily into OpenWRT on ARM, MIPS and RAMIPS.
(Also Raspberry PI: but that's hardly a constrained device)

I've run it on Netgear3800, Carambola-2 and VoCore platforms, and I
expect to run it on the CHIP device before the end of the month.

As for RAM scaling as a function of number of nodes: I'm guessing a
kilobyte per node at present.  I am sure it can be reduced to somewhere
around 200 bytes per node: this would be easiest if a runtime limit on
number of nodes was created such that dictionaries/maps could be replaced
with closed hashes in arrays of fixed size.  But at this point, that would
be pre-mature optimization.