[Unstrung-hackers] unable to see routes with sunshine on b2b connected nodes

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Tue Sep 22 15:32:11 EDT 2015

Vijay Anand R <vjanandrgky at gmail.com> wrote:
    > curious about the command that you suggested: /sbin/sunshine.run
    > --dagid ripple -i eth1 --rank 1 --prefix 2001:db8:0001::/48 --interval
    > 30000 --verbose --timelog

    > so the prefix here is what is used by the nodes to auto configure
    > themselves and is propagated using the DIO messages from the root to
    > the rest of the DAG.  But what if I want to advertise a particular IPV6
    > address (/128) that is assigned by me ? How do I provide the address
    > that has to be advertised in the DAO messages ?

The --prefix is what the DODAG root will announce in the PIO option of the
DIO message.

Based upon that, other nodes that join that DODAG will autoconfigure (usually
using SLAAC, but they could use stable private addresses, or some other way
of getting a lower-64-bits) an address. The new address will be placed
as an alias on lo, as a /128.

The new /128 will be added the addresses reachable via this node and
sent upwards in the next DAO.  That DAO will also have any other /128s
reachable below the current node.

It seems that you want to advertise a *different* /128, and that is
conceptually possible, but there is no code to do that yet.

What is the origin of this /128?  If it is an address that is a neighbour
that does not run RPL, but might have heard a route advertisement via
Efficient ND... then that's definitely something that should be done.

How would you like to specify those other addresses?

Would code that enumerated all the addresses on all the interfaces
and then announce those that matched some netmask work? (You could, of
course, specify ::/0 as the mask to get them all. We'd have to filter out
::/64, the loopback addresses, anyway).

Hmm. maybe all addresses with a > scope would make sense, filter out
scope = 1 and scope = 2 addresses, as that gets the link local and the
loopback addressses automatically.

    > Please note I am trying to configure all nodes in storing mode so I
    > need to store routes and advertise DAO as well (unlike the glow
    > program).

"glow" isn't written yet, btw :-)