[Unstrung-hackers] unable to see routes with sunshine on b2b connected nodes

Vijay Anand R vjanandrgky at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 13:28:12 EDT 2015

Hi Michael,

To give a quick brief background on what I am trying to do.
I am working on an open source version of autonomic networking, and
trying to explore if RPL is the best choice of routing protocol.
RPL is of interest to us because we have to setup the routing only for
the control plane traffic of autonomic networking and we prefer a light
weight routing infrastructure.

Regarding the PIO : I think that could be optional since each node would
get a /128 ULA address from Autonomic Networking infrastructure. The
goal now is to use a routing protocol to advertise the routes to these
ULA addresses.

Here are some thoughts regarding the input to sunshine, kindly let me
know what you think.

a. Providing a CIDR in the command line is certainly a possibility but
the ULA address assigned are always /128 prefix and except for the first
byte of FD rest 15 bytes are generated by some rules.
b. Further addition of interfaces within a node to the DODAG is dynamic,
so the only current alternative seems to be kill the current instance
and start a new one with the new set of interfaces in the command line
(with the -i option).  This seems to be destructive and could impair
routing to current reachable nodes. But I agree once we have this
integrated into Quagga we get a CLI prompt we can work with. But in the
interim do you think having a configuration file would help ? I update
the configuration file and send a signal to sunshine daemon for it to
gracefully restart with the new configuration ?

Regards,
Vijay