[Unstrung-hackers] unable to see routes with sunshine on b2b connected nodes

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Thu Sep 24 14:13:38 EDT 2015

Vijay Anand R <vjanandrgky at gmail.com> wrote:
    > To give a quick brief background on what I am trying to do.  I am
    > working on an open source version of autonomic networking, and trying
    > to explore if RPL is the best choice of routing protocol.  RPL is of
    > interest to us because we have to setup the routing only for the
    > control plane traffic of autonomic networking and we prefer a light
    > weight routing infrastructure.

okay.
(I think that you should let RPL do address numbering of the ACP too.
 But, having options is good)

Are you intending to run RPL over IKEv2?
(Noting that I'm on the ANIMA bootstrap design team...)

    > Regarding the PIO : I think that could be optional since each node
    > would get a /128 ULA address from Autonomic Networking
    > infrastructure. The goal now is to use a routing protocol to advertise
    > the routes to these ULA addresses.

It sounds like you'd like some IPC to set it up.
I'd like to have it connect to the OpenWRT ubus system.

    > a. Providing a CIDR in the command line is certainly a possibility but
    > the ULA address assigned are always /128 prefix and except for the
    > first byte of FD rest 15 bytes are generated by some rules.
    > b. Further
    > addition of interfaces within a node to the DODAG is dynamic, so the
    > only current alternative seems to be kill the current instance and
    > start a new one with the new set of interfaces in the command line
    > (with the -i option).  This seems to be destructive and could impair
    > routing to current reachable nodes. But I agree once we have this
    > integrated into Quagga we get a CLI prompt we can work with. But in the
    > interim do you think having a configuration file would help ? I update
    > the configuration file and send a signal to sunshine daemon for it to
    > gracefully restart with the new configuration ?

I think that a configuration file would make it worse actually :-)
Getting it into the quagga config file infrastructure would be better.

I haven't looked at if quagga does anything to make the whole router-prompt
stuff better; I'm sure at least that there is a library, but I'd also like to
keep it small..

Let's do this...
      a) add: --ignore-dao-pio option which causes Sunshine to not
              configure addresses from the PIOs it sees.

      b) add: --prefixes-to-announce
         This will be a CIDR, which if matched, will cause addresses
         found on interfaces to be added to the DIO list.

So you'll run it as --ignore-dao-pio, and --prefixes-to-announce fd00::/8.

I already want it to deal properly with interfaces arriving/disappearing.
There is already NETLINK socket listening, but it isn't enough yet.